What the 1 Percent (of Capital Markets) Could Do for Impact Investing
November 25, 2011 Editor 0
Authored by: Logan Yonavjak
How can we unlock new sources of capital from retail investment to ensure impact investment opportunities aren’t just for the wealthy?
While major investment banks have alluded to the promise of impact investing, (think J.P. Morgan in its 2010 report with The Rockefeller Foundation, which included an analysis of 1,100 impact investments that were identified as asset class), at this point in time, impact investing is still not an important activity for any of these major players. Even if it were deemed a priority, the vast majority of the $80 trillion in global capital markets is locked up in investment structures unlikely to be unlocked for impact investment anytime soon.
So what is a realistic goal in the near-term to free up some of this capital and how do we unlock it? Anthony Bugg-Levine and Jed Emerson in their new book Impact Investing: Transforming How We Make Money While Making a Difference discuss how opening just one percent of these assets for impact investing would create “a capital pool four times larger than all current annual official donor flows and almost three times greater than the total of U.S. annual charitable giving.”
- InVest in a Small Business, See Your Impact – In Real Time
- Can countries legislate to attract more investment?
- Experience design is shaping our future
- Give Impact Investing Time and Space to Develop
- Impact Investing: How to Scale Impact Enterprises
- How new multinational businesses can transform poverty–and be profitable
Categories: Next Billion
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021