THE ADOPTION OF OPEN INNOVATION WITHIN THE TELECOMMUNICATION INDUSTRY
October 31, 2011 Editor 0
Purpose – The paper, covering the actual argument of open innovation, aims answering two main research questions, namely: (1) Which open innovation approach is adopted by the companies belonging to the ICTs industry? (2) Which type of the collaborations are carried out by the companies and which are the dynamics that characterize it?Design/methodology/approach – In order to answer the above mentioned research questions, we adopted a multiple case study methodology. The research framework was structured in three main phases: first, a literature review on the matter of open innovation in general and within the ICTs industry in particular, as well as of the specific features of the industry investigated was carried out. Secondly, a list of questions containing the main issues that aroused from the previous step has been designed for the case study protocol, to be used in the following structured interviews. Finally, structured direct interviews were conducted on three important Italian companies active in the telecommunication area.Findings – Results highlighted different ways to manage the open innovation processes, based on teamworks or task forces, and the different roles, more or less proactive, that an ICTs company may undertake within this process. Moreover, they show that ICTs’ companies use to acquire external knowledge and skills mainly from Universities and research centers, as well as from value chain’s actors (suppliers in primis).Originality/value – Still little attention has been paid to the understanding of the open innovation approach of Italian firms belonging to the ICTs industry, thus we believe that this paper may represent a valuable basis for future research on the open innovation issues in the field of ICTs.
Go to Source
- The genome of the seagrass Zostera marina reveals angiosperm adaptation to the sea.
- Undergrads invent cell phone screener to combat anemia in developing world
- Infographic: Why it’s Africa’s turn for an economic boom
- First measurements taken of South Africa’s Iron Age magnetic field history
- Paving the way for tech transfer
- The Truth About Disruptive Development (Blog)
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020