The impact of outside-in open innovation on innovation performance
August 12, 2011 Editor 0
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to examine the influence of an open outside-in innovation management on the companies’ innovativeness and innovation performance. Specifically, the focus is on the adoption of the open innovation paradigm in practice and the extent of collaboration with different stakeholders.
Design/methodology/approach – The proposed hypotheses are tested empirically using survey data collected from stock-listed companies in Germany, Switzerland and Austria. The data include the complete responses from 141 R&D managers for the period from 2004 to 2008.
Findings – The openness of the outside-in process in R&D management is of crucial importance for achieving high direct and indirect innovation output effects. In particular, openness towards customers, suppliers and universities has a significant positive impact on the different innovation performance measures. Regarding openness towards cross-sector companies, the analysis reveals a significant negative effect on innovation performance.
Research limitations/implications – The utilization of cross-sectional data and its dependency on the perceptions and experiences of the respondents has its limitations. Thus, future research should be based on a more longitudinal design that emphasizes quantitative measurement techniques.
Originality/value – To date, the adoption of open innovation in practice has not been examined in depth. This study provides empirical insights into the open innovation approaches in German-speaking countries and, by drawing important conclusions for managers involved in the R&D processes, fills a gap in the innovation management literature.
Go to Source
- Disruptive Innovation … in Reverse: Adding a Geographical Dimension to Disruptive Innovation Theory
- Top Innovation Secrets
- Trends And Predictions In (Open) Innovation
- The Benefits of Partnering with Universities in the Era of Open Innovation
- The Future of Innovation Management: 5 Key Steps for Future Success
- Measuring Creativity for Innovation Management
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020