What are Affordable Technologies for Supporting Learning and Collaboration in Africa?
August 2, 2011 Editor 0
There is ongoing innovation in terms of technology and its cost. This has included, for instance, the introduction of lower cost computers (e.g. netbooks and OLPC), the explosion in access to mobile phones and the emergence of devices such as iPads and e-readers. There are also a growing number of projects which seek to use some of these mobile devices to support learning and collaboration. However, many of the existing projects are pilots and implemented on a small scale which raises issues in terms of scalability and sustainability.
In this context, there is a lively Educational Technology Debate on Affordable Technologies for Supporting Learning and Collaboration in Africa that is exploring the following questions:
- Where and how are mobile devices or other affordable technologies being used for access to learning materials and collaboration? What lessons can we learn from these experiences?
- What are the key challenges for the use of these technologies in education in Africa? What are the critical success factors for their effective use?
- What recommendations should be made to policy makers, regulators, donors and other stakeholders if technology is to be used to support learning and collaboration in an equitable, sustainable and scalable manner?
Join the conversation and expand the discussion to include both successes and failures with mobile phones, laptops, and other low-cost ICT devices for educational systems of the developing world.
This EduTechDebate is part of the eTranform Africa initiative.
Go to Source
- Effects of knowledge spillovers on innovation and collaboration in science and technology parks
- What Happened to the Innovation, Disruption, Technology’ Dividend?
- Setting research priorities across science, technology, and health sectors: the Tanzania experience.
- 4 Reasons Why Global Satellite Internet Is A Fantasy
- From innovation to mass market: Lessons for the IoT
- If Digital Freedom is a Myth, How Can We Ethically Provide Access to Cutting-Edge Technology?
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020