What are Affordable Technologies for Supporting Learning and Collaboration in Africa?
August 2, 2011 Editor 0
There is ongoing innovation in terms of technology and its cost. This has included, for instance, the introduction of lower cost computers (e.g. netbooks and OLPC), the explosion in access to mobile phones and the emergence of devices such as iPads and e-readers. There are also a growing number of projects which seek to use some of these mobile devices to support learning and collaboration. However, many of the existing projects are pilots and implemented on a small scale which raises issues in terms of scalability and sustainability.
In this context, there is a lively Educational Technology Debate on Affordable Technologies for Supporting Learning and Collaboration in Africa that is exploring the following questions:
- Where and how are mobile devices or other affordable technologies being used for access to learning materials and collaboration? What lessons can we learn from these experiences?
- What are the key challenges for the use of these technologies in education in Africa? What are the critical success factors for their effective use?
- What recommendations should be made to policy makers, regulators, donors and other stakeholders if technology is to be used to support learning and collaboration in an equitable, sustainable and scalable manner?
Join the conversation and expand the discussion to include both successes and failures with mobile phones, laptops, and other low-cost ICT devices for educational systems of the developing world.
This EduTechDebate is part of the eTranform Africa initiative.
Go to Source
- Effects of knowledge spillovers on innovation and collaboration in science and technology parks
- 4 Mobile Money Powered Affordable Solar Electricity Solutions
- Intel in Africa – A Heck of A Fight Part II
- Today’s mobile device is tomorrow’s smart-home controller
- London Technology Salon: How Can We Empower Women and Girls with Mobiles?
- The Future of Commerce Starts With a Tap
Subscribe to our stories
- Prize-winning projects promote healthier eating, smarter crop investments June 28, 2018
- Reliable energy for all June 28, 2018
- Making marble from bottles: plastic waste’s second life in Kenya June 28, 2018
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018