Africa lacks “interstructures”
April 8, 2008 Editor 0
I define interstructure as those technologies, standards and platforms that allow us to derived full economic benefit from underlying technology infrastructure.
Business management: Let us take the example of the world wide web. Most of businesses in Africa can connect to the intenet these days. However many of these business are not able to derive full economic benefit from these connections. This is because they may lack ERP systems or supply chain management systems.
The ability of an entity to meet its objectives through the use of technology is linked to its interstructures.
Another example, is the mobile phone. Voice is now a commodity. To add and derive value from a mobile phone, value added services are needed. Many mobile phones in Africa, are so called low end devices. Technologies to enable a low end device is an example of an interstructure.
Traceability of food products is now considered a competitive advantage for food exporters. Tracability has been made possible by internet and its related technologies.
More to follow:
Francis Stevens George
- International R&D Transfer and Technical Efficiency: Evidence from Panel Study Using Stochastic Frontier Analysis
- Africa: Young Scientists Are Missing Out On Vital Skills
- Foresight Africa: Top Priorities for the Continent in 2014
- Coconut oil shows promise in the prevention of deadly bloodstream infection
- Evaluation of Convalescent Plasma for Ebola Virus Disease in Guinea.
- Africa: Senegal, Kenya Claim Apps Awards
African Diaspora Key to the Continent’s Development: World Bank Freedom to Innovate: Biotechnology in Africa’s Development
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
Popular Post-All time
- A review on biomass-based... 1k views
- Can blockchain disrupt ge... 808 views
- Apply Now: $500,000 for Y... 806 views
- Test Your Value Propositi... 759 views
- Prize-winning projects pr... 727 views