Technology showcases in Africa RISING Phase II in Ethiopia
January 25, 2018 Editor 0
During its first phase (2012-2016), the Africa Research in Sustainable Intensification for the Next Generation (Africa RISING) project in the Ethiopian highlands implemented various action-based on-farm research activities that align with the Ethiopian government priorities. A total of 22 action-related protocols alongside 11 explanatory protocols were identified and grouped under seven thematic areas.
- Feed and forage development.
- Field crop varietal selection and management.
- Integration of high-value products into mixed farming system.
- Improved land and water management for sustainability.
- Mixed farming system through more effective crop-livestock system integration
- Cross-cutting problems and opportunities.
- Knowledge management, exchange and capacity development.
A recent report highlights some of the technology showcases that are proposed for scaling up in the second phase of the project which runs from 2017-2021. Unlike the first phase, which was limited to two kebeles in each of the four regions (Amhara, Oromia, Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples’, and Tigray), the second phase is working with partners to reach more beneficiaries.
The report gives a background and description of the technologies, evidence of benefits, alignment with Ethiopia government / United States Agency for International Development (USAID) priorities, the planned partnerships for scaling, proposed beneficiaries and planned activities.
Download the Technology showcases report.
- Expanding use of solar irrigation pumps in Ethiopia
- Africa RISING partnerships increase scaling out of agricultural technologies in Ethiopia
- Innovation platforms – scaling research findings in Lemo, Ethiopia
- Water management knowledge key in small-scale irrigation development
- Two-wheel (single axle) tractors introduced to power agriculture in the highlands of Ethiopia
- Africa RISING Ethiopia reviews progress and plans for 2016 and beyond
Subscribe to our stories
- Giving Francophone African incubators the keys to accelerate growth entrepreneurship February 13, 2018
- Is acceleration the panacea for scaling growth entrepreneurs? Reflections from XL Africa February 13, 2018
- Why providing pre-seed and seed capital is the essential step to bringing West Africa and Sahel’s entrepreneurs to the next level February 13, 2018
- Global Investment Competitiveness: New Insights on FDI February 2, 2018
- BioInnovate Africa phase II launched February 2, 2018