Global Entrepreneurship Week 2017-Sierra Leone
November 20, 2017 Editor 0
Global Entrepreneurship Week was officially celebrated in Sierra Leone for the first time. The aim of the one week program was to promote GEN SL, raise awareness of value creating entrepreneurship, and celebrate entrepreneurship.
The main of GEW 2017 in Sierra Leone was Mützig, manufactured by the Sierra Leone Brewery.
We secured as communication partner the AYV TV station. This is the most popular TV station in the country. The main event was filmed and GEN SL Acting MD, Francis Stevens George was interviewed both for radio and TV.
We will take part in two radio and two TV programs to discuss the importance of building an ecosystem that supports entrepreneurship.
Our co-host, Sensi Tech Hub is building a technology innovation community in Sierra Leone that will drive economic and social development through providing an open and stimulating community hub for young technologists and entrepreneurs to come together, develop their ideas and access cutting-edge tech, events, incubation programmes and training.
Most of the GEW 2017 events will be held at Sensi Tech Hub.
The other co-host was the Sierra Leone chapter of the Limkokwing University of Creative Technology. Limkokwing University of Creative Technology is an international University with a global presence across Asia, Africa and Europe. Founded in 1991, the University has established worldwide recognition through its innovative brand of creative education merging the best of East and West learning.
As Co-host, Limkokwing Sierra Leone hosted the finals of the GEW 2017 Freetown Pitch Competition. This was the main event of the GEW Sierra Leone 2017 celebrations. We have 150 students in addition to the 50 invited guests- diplomatic community, donor agencies, Government, Members of Parliament and Corporate leaders.
The atmosphere was electrifying and the competition a thriller. The Pitch Competition was in partnership with our main partners, Cordaid and Sensi Tech Hub.
Our main sponsors for the event was Mutzig, Africell and Innovation SL.
On the first day, November 13, one of the most formidable engineering designer and entrepreneur in Sierra Leone, , Melvin Foday Kamara to share entrepreneurial his story.
Among other highlights was a workshop with upper secondary girls. The workshop was design to encourage the young women to consider entrepreneurship. Francis Stevens George, Act MD of GEN SL, identified the sources of business ideas and started a discussion with the young ladies.
With 10 events, GEW focused on 4 themes: entrepreneurial culture, entrepreneurial education, digital technology and innovation, and social entrepreneurship..
Global Entrepreneurship Week Sierra Leone 2017, highlighted:
- GEN Global and its programs for Sierra Leone
- The importance of Value creating Entrepreneurship
- Looking for Entrepreneurial Opportunities
- Start-up strategy- in partnership with Cordaid Business Clinics
- Incentives and facilities offered to start-ups
GEN SL also ran a workshop on “Start-up strategy- Problem Definition and Mapping your Value Proposition” together with Innovation SL and Cordaid.
The final event was a on how Innovation is changing and the opportunities open to entrepreneurs in Sierra Leone.
During the week attendants were be able to:
- Learn about GEN and its programs
- Meet and network with local start-ups and entrepreneurs
- Learn how to spot Business Opportunities
- Lean how to define a business problem and build a value proposition
- Learn and share insights to start and grow firms from one of the most successful Sierra Leonean entrepreneur.
- Meet with corporate leaders to build relationships
- Meet with Donor agencies supporting Entrepreneurship activities in Sierra Leone
- Have valuable information from leaders in the field on the key elements of ecosystems that encourage business growth and promote innovation.
- Contribute to the construction of the entrepreneurial ecosystem of Sierra Leone
On Friday November 17th the week was ended with a party at Sensi Tech Hub.
- Towards building an Entrepreneurship Ecosystem- Global Entrepreneurship Week and Freetown Pitch Night-The Role and Significance of the Freetown Pitch Night
- No Electricity Means No Internet: It’s Time to Bridge the Gap!
- Youth Driving Change in Sierra Leone
- Learning is a Two-Way Street with Hack at Home by Innovate Salone
- The Secret Recipe for Entrepreneurship
- Does social dimension beat geographic clustering in creating tech innovation ecosystems in cities?
The Partnership for Economic Policy Call for Project Proposals Towards building an Entrepreneurship Ecosystem- Global Entrepreneurship Week and Freetown Pitch Night-The Role and Significance of the Freetown Pitch Night
Subscribe to our stories
- Can Africa’s tech start-up scene rise to the next level? November 20, 2017
- Chocolate innovation: Sweet tooth hackers solve cocoa farmers’ challenges November 20, 2017
- A new generation of CEOs: Running a business in West Africa as a woman November 20, 2017
- Is crowdfunding the silver bullet to expanding innovation in the developing world? November 20, 2017
- Towards building an Entrepreneurship Ecosystem- Global Entrepreneurship Week and Freetown Pitch Night-The Role and Significance of the Freetown Pitch Night November 20, 2017