Building deposit insurance systems in developing countries
July 12, 2017 Editor 0
Deposit insurance systems (DIS) play a key role in building confidence among depositors and helping keep their money safe. However, deposit insurance should never be considered a “magic bullet,” a “quick fix” or a stand-alone solution to maintain financial stability.
The 2008 global financial crisis created a crisis of confidence in banking systems around the world. As a response, the number of countries with deposit insurance systems quickly shot up from 84 (in 2003) to 125 (in 2016). For the existing DIS, this period tested their design and effectiveness.
Over the past decade, the FIRST Initiative has funded 16 projects across the globe to assist in strengthening existing deposit insurance systems or establishing new ones. Drawing from these experiences, we recently published a Lessons Learned Note on the Challenges in Building Effective Deposit Insurance Systems in Developing Countries. The note provides seven lessons learned from our work across the six World Bank regions and provides a number of specific country examples.
The note provides insights to better understand: (1) the role of a DIS, (2) how to design an appropriate framework and (3) keys to effective implementation and operations.
- Can ‘fintech’ innovations impact financial inclusion in developing countries?
- Six Things You Need to Know About Crowdfunding in Developing Countries
- Greased by mobile money, remittances may accelerate even more
- Developing Country Farmers Bridge the ‘Biotechnology Divide’
- Leveraging ‘suptech’ for financial inclusion in Rwanda
- New technology combats global pandemic of drug counterfeiting
Subscribe to our stories
- The use of a hybrid latent class approach to identify consumer segments and market potential for organic products in Nigeria July 26, 2017
- A nonlinear relationship between unemployment and human capital – evidence from African countries July 26, 2017
- Analysis of GMO food products companies: financial risks and opportunities in the global agriculture industry July 26, 2017
- Entrepreneurship takes stamina: How Mauritania is supporting budding entrepreneurs July 26, 2017
- Proposal of a Modelling of the Innovation Process in an International Manufacturing Company July 25, 2017