Diversifying agricultural production and improving diets in Malawi
July 3, 2017 Editor 0
In light of this, CGIAR initiated a research program—Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH)—to ensure that successes in agriculture translate into better human nutrition and health. Improved agricultural innovations that boost the productivity and diversity of agricultural production can affect health directly (by influencing the diets of subsistence-oriented households) and indirectly (by enhancing the food purchasing power of commercial-oriented households). Since the majority of food-insecure and malnourished people in sub-Saharan Africa are smallholder farmers, on-farm diversification has the potential to improve dietary diversity, an outcome that has been found elsewhere to be positively correlated with the nutritional status of individuals.
Establishing a causal link between farm diversity and dietary diversity is challenging due to potential simultaneity between production and consumption decisions and confounding factors that could affect both outcomes.
This Africa RISING evidence brief presents findings from a study that investigated the quasi-exogenous increase in on-farm diversity among Africa RISING beneficiary households in Malawi to examine the link between production and dietary diversity.
- Doubled-up legume technology in Malawi boosts land productivity
- Malawi’s bountiful harvests and healthier children
- Assessing scale-up of mHealth innovations based on intervention complexity: two case studies of child health programs in Malawi and Zambia.
- Lessons Learned From Working Firsthand in Malawi’s ICT Sector
- Prize will expand use of life-saving neonatal device in Africa
- UNC-Malawi cancer pathology laboratory is a model for Sub-Saharan Africa
Subscribe to our stories
- The renaissance of farming systems research in Africa January 16, 2018
- Entrepreneurship competition encourages the Malian diaspora to start businesses on their home turf January 16, 2018
- India: Digital finance models for lending to small businesses January 16, 2018
- Powering up Africa through innovation January 16, 2018
- Which ones did you read and download?Africa RISING’s most popular online products and resources in 2017 January 16, 2018