The secret sauce of a ‘start-up nation’
March 16, 2017 Editor 0
Israel has one of the most admired innovation systems in the world. With the highest Research & Development (R&D) spending and venture capital investment as a percentage of GDP, the country has positioned itself as a global leader in research and innovation, earning the title of “start-up nation.”
Avi Hasson, Chief Scientist of the Ministry of Economy and Industry and Chairman of the Israel Innovation Agency, was at the World Bank Group last week to share some of the “secret sauce” behind Israel’s success in the innovation and entrepreneurship space.
Hasson highlighted the key role played by public-private partnerships over the last 40 years. Those partnerships have resulted in the establishment of an innovation infrastructure — including educational and technical institutions, incubators and business accelerators —anchored within a dynamic national innovation ecosystem built around shared social goals.
Specifically, to reduce the risk for investors, the government has focused on funding technologies at various stages of innovation — from emerging entrepreneurs and start-ups to medium and large companies. Strengthened by that approach, the Israeli ecosystem is maturing: according to Hasson, mergers and acquisitions have increased and exit profits have almost tripled over the last three years, with more and more new projects being started by returning entrepreneurs.
- Mapping Morocco’s green entrepreneurship ecosystem
- What’s the color of entrepreneurship?
- Sowing the Seeds of Green Entrepreneurship: Startup Bootcamps and Pitching Competitions
- Notes from the ‘Capital of Innovation’
- Female Entrepreneurship: What Support Programs Should Do (and What They Should Avoid Doing)
- Inclusive Growth as the Path Toward Sustainable Development: A New Initiative on ‘Equality of Opportunity in Global Prosperity’
Categories: World Bank PSD
Tags: start-up nation
Subscribe to our stories
- How Open Innovation Can Be Used in the Financial Sector July 23, 2017
- Nigeria: Nigeria Wins Global Government Innovation Award July 23, 2017
- L’entrepreneuriat demande de l’endurance: Comment un incubateur mauritanien appuie les entrepreneurs en herbe avec son concours « Marathon de l’Entrepreneur » July 23, 2017
- Ethiopia learning alliance to support sustainable agricultural intensification July 23, 2017
- Livestock key to ending poverty and hunger in developing countries July 23, 2017