How can women empowerment through livestock value chains enhance maternal and child nutrition in Northern Kenya?
January 2, 2017 Editor 0
At last week’s National Food and Nutrition Symposium held at the Kenya School of Government, Jennifer Adere, a Nutrition Specialist at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) presented findings from a background study that sought to understand the pathways through which livestock influence women’s empowerment and maternal and child nutrition.
Themed ‘mainstreaming nutrition innovations for sustainable development’, the two-day symposium held on 23 and 24 November 2016 brought together actors in nutrition and food security to identify evidence-based innovative and sustainable opportunities that can enhance the food and nutrition situation inform nutrition development policy in Kenya.
The study, conducted in Marsabit and Isiolo Counties, identified livestock products and market participation as the main women empowerment domains in drylands livestock production systems. the authors conclude that increased women’s engagement in production and sale of livestock products can significantly improve feeding practices, and the nutritional status of communities.
This study was conducted under the livestock component of the Feed the Future Kenya Accelerated Value Chain Development (AVCD) program
- Is the empowerment of women livestock keepers the key to improved nutrition? A new study seeks to find out
- New study explores links between dairy intensification, women’s decision-making, time use and child nutrition
- Prioritizing climate-smart livestock interventions in Africa
- Developing a gender capacity assessment and development methodology and tools
- Livestock markets, animal source foods and human nutrition: Considering program tensions, maximizing impact and avoiding harm
- Leveraging behaviour change communication to improve nutrition in Kenya
Subscribe to our stories
- How Open Innovation Can Be Used in the Financial Sector July 23, 2017
- Nigeria: Nigeria Wins Global Government Innovation Award July 23, 2017
- L’entrepreneuriat demande de l’endurance: Comment un incubateur mauritanien appuie les entrepreneurs en herbe avec son concours « Marathon de l’Entrepreneur » July 23, 2017
- Ethiopia learning alliance to support sustainable agricultural intensification July 23, 2017
- Livestock key to ending poverty and hunger in developing countries July 23, 2017