GIS generated recommendation domains to scale improved crop varieties in Tanzania
December 28, 2016 Editor 0
Recent agronomic research has generated innovative sustainable intensification technologies for increase food production while conserving natural resources. Development programs and extension services have invested significant effort to promote adoption of best-bet intensification technologies. However, the achievement of the much needed impact at scale with these improved technologies has been often hindered by low adoption by farmers.Proper targeting of sites to scale out agricultural technologies is a key determinant of the subsequent rate of adoption. Scaling technologies in locations with similar biophysical and socio-economic characteristics significantly increase probability of adoption. Such similar locations are referred to recommendation domains (RDs).
This poster presents a geospatial framework for delineating RDs for crop varieties which are part of the Africa RISING technology packages.The framework is therefore an evidence-based tool for guiding development and extension agencies on spatial targeting of sustainable intensification technologies to achieve maximum impact from limited resources.
CGSpace record: http://hdl.handle.net/10568/78113
- Sustainable breeding strategies for Red Maasai sheep in Kenya
- Prioritizing climate-smart livestock interventions in Africa
- Good agriculture practices―low hanging fruits for Zambian farmers
- Connecting research-in-development dots and investing in dynamic scaling pathways – Africa RISING phase2 kicks off with science for impact event
- Are conservation agriculture systems good options for smallholders in Zimbabwe?
- Information sharing from the first Bio-Innovate Scientific conference
Subscribe to our stories
- Integrated sheep improvement technologies showcased in Doyogena, Ethiopia March 16, 2017
- Good agriculture practices―low hanging fruits for Zambian farmers March 16, 2017
- Home-grown technology firms help drive eGovernment expansion in East Africa March 16, 2017
- The secret sauce of a ‘start-up nation’ March 16, 2017
- Private sector engagement is key to success on gender equity March 16, 2017