Tropentag workshop: Empowering livestock and fish smallholders through multi-stakeholder platforms and value chains
September 7, 2016 Editor 0
On 19 September 2016, ’empowering livestock and fish smallholders through multi-stakeholder platforms and value chains’ is the focus of a Livestock and Fish research program workshop at the Tropentag 2016 conference.
Guided by the Tropentag theme ‘Solidarity in a competing world’, the workshop will synthesize experiences and lessons of the program and its partners, focusing on food security, livelihoods and empowerment towards a fairer, more sustainable world.
Since 2012, CGIAR Livestock and Fish program partners have worked in a solution-driven approach to agricultural research for development. This combines technical upstream interventions in animal health, animal feeding and animal genetics with multi-stakeholder interventions with communities and along value chains. Special attention is given to inclusive value chain development, by and for the poor, targeting women and people facing environmental and public health issues.
Drawing on experiences from several ‘value chain’ countries as well as livestock and fish technical specialists, the workshop aims to critically examine the novel model for agricultural research for development AR4D) that the program tested, drawing tentative lessons to improve the model and recommendations for AR4D more generally.
Participants, who do not need to be livestock or fish specialists, will be able to interrogate and challenge the approach in relation to their own experience, directly interacting with researchers who implemented the model and influencing future work of the institutions involved.
- Balancing research and development: Livestock and fish research and value chain insights from Tropentag workshop
- Towards a toolkit to analyse livestock and fish value chains
- Using a value chain approach to focus animal genetic interventions
- Partnerships pay off for Uganda value chain project
- Enhancing gender capacity for inclusive livestock value chains
- Livestock and Fish program evaluation reviews successes in Vietnam and seeks new research opportunities
Tags: fish smallholders
Subscribe to our stories
- Key lessons for policymakers from China’s financial inclusion experience April 24, 2018
- Can blockchain disrupt gender inequality? April 24, 2018
- Business incubation a means for effective business development April 24, 2018
- A network approach to growing green entrepreneurship April 24, 2018
- What sustainable intensification of mixed farming systems looks like in Ethiopia–case of the Africa RISING project April 24, 2018