Multidimensional crop improvement research on grain legumes in Ethiopia
June 10, 2016 Editor 0
The Livestock and Fish program joined the Africa RISING project in supporting these theses.
Three Ethiopian MSc. students, who contributed to ICARDA’s research on multidimensional improvement of grain legumes recently graduated from Ethiopian Universities. Tena Alemu and Asemahegn Mersha graduated from Hawassa University under joint supervision of Jane Wamatu (ICARDA), Adugna Tolera and Mohammed Beyan. Teklu Wegi graduated from Haramaya University under joint supervision of Jane Wamatu, Adugna Tolera and Getachew Animut. The USAID-funded Africa RISING project and the Livestock and Fish CGIAR program jointly supported Tena and Asemahegn while Teklu was entirely supported by Africa RISING.
The students have unlocked key trends and trait relationships across grain legume crops that can inform and further guide crop improvement.
Asemahegn, who evaluated the cultivar-dependent variation in food-feed traits in lentil (Lens culinaris), determined that there are significant genotypic and location variations for grain yield and straw traits in lentil and GL has significant effects. Correlations between grain and straw yields are positive, moderate…
View original post 263 more words
- Multidimensional crop improvement research on grain legumes in Ethiopia
- Linking capacity building activities to product development
- Africa RISING Ethiopia reviews progress and plans for 2016 and beyond
- Briefs document emerging results from Africa RISING projects
- RISING voices: Temesgen Alene, Africa RISING Research site coordinator for Basona Worena Woreda in Ethiopia
- Improved small ruminant value chains in Ethiopia focus of new Livestock and Fish project
Subscribe to our stories
- Integrated sheep improvement technologies showcased in Doyogena, Ethiopia March 16, 2017
- Good agriculture practices―low hanging fruits for Zambian farmers March 16, 2017
- Home-grown technology firms help drive eGovernment expansion in East Africa March 16, 2017
- The secret sauce of a ‘start-up nation’ March 16, 2017
- Private sector engagement is key to success on gender equity March 16, 2017