Livestock and Fish sessions rethinking research pathways to rural poverty
April 14, 2016 Editor 0Claire Heffernan challenges participants (image: ILRI\Susan MacMllan)
This week in Addis Ababa, the CGIAR Independent Science and Partnership Council held its Science Forum 2016 on agricultural research for rural prosperity.
The CGIAR research program on Livestock and Fish is involved in two breakout sessions:
The first, on animal agri-food systems research for poverty reduction, zoomed in on three main impact pathways for livestock research:
- Livelihoods and human nutrition: covering household nutrition, local incomes
- Strengthening resilience: covering assets to cope with shocks
- Generating growth and income: covering value chain incomes, national level food supply, trade.
The second session looks beyond the program, looking at gender research for rural prosperity. It discusses ways to better integrate gender into research, discussing specific cases, ways that gender accommodative and gender transformative research help achieve poverty reduction and rural prosperity, and ways forward for research in this area. Read the session abstract.
- Pioneering self-contained ‘smart village’ offers world model for rural poverty relief
- Livestock and Fish value chain flagship: Achieving transformation and scale
- Investments in pastoralism offer best hope for combating droughts in Africa’s drylands
- Biotechnologies at Work for Smallholders: Case Studies from Developing Countries in Crops, Livestock and Fish
- Bio-Innovate-funded bean consortium project working towards increasing productivity, value addition, and marketing of the bean crop in eastern Africa
- Bio-Innovate funded bean consortium working towards increasing productivity, value addition and marketing of the bean crop in eastern Africa
Subscribe to our stories
- The renaissance of farming systems research in Africa January 16, 2018
- Entrepreneurship competition encourages the Malian diaspora to start businesses on their home turf January 16, 2018
- India: Digital finance models for lending to small businesses January 16, 2018
- Powering up Africa through innovation January 16, 2018
- Which ones did you read and download?Africa RISING’s most popular online products and resources in 2017 January 16, 2018