Financial inclusion of women in five charts
March 16, 2016 Editor 0
One billion women – more than 40% of the women around the world – don’t have access to formal financial services, according to Global Findex.
The gender finance gap remains at 9% in developing countries, although in some parts of the world it is much higher, according to the 2014 Global Findex data.
Women are 20% less likely than men to have a bank account and 17% less likely to have borrowed money formally.
Focusing on Universal Financial Access by 2020 in 25 Countries
To reach financial inclusion, the World Bank Group and partners are focusing on 25 countries where 73% of all financially excluded people live, under the Universal Financial Access by 2020 initiative.
The UFA2020 goal is to enable access for all adults, women and men alike, to a transaction account through which they can access other financial services — such as savings, credit or insurance — that can help improve the quality of their lives.
The following 4 charts explain how financially included women are in those 25 countries, according to Findex data.
- How 3 banks in emerging economies are banking women
- The Gender Gap in Access to Finance
- Closing the gender finance gap: Three steps firms can take
- Why gender equality in doing business makes good economic sense
- When Business Gets Personal: How Laws Affect Women’s Economic Opportunities
- Smart Economy = Laws that are Tailored to Women as much as Men
Categories: World Bank PSD
Economic opportunity for women: It’s good business A qualitative assessment of health extension workers’ relationships with the community and health sector in Ethiopia: opportunities for enhancing maternal health performance.
Subscribe to our stories
- Organisational resilience: building business value in a changing world August 2, 2017
- Stakeholder involvement, knowledge, and gender norms key for effective rainwater management August 1, 2017
- The absorptive capacity as a key success factor in international strategic alliances: a study of Tunisian firms July 29, 2017
- A social affair: identifying motivation of social entrepreneurs July 29, 2017
- How Africa RISING interventions affecting production diversity and dietary quality July 28, 2017