Marcelo Coelho and Colin Raney on 3D printing and the digital manufacturing revolution
November 18, 2015 Editor 0
Subscribe to the O’Reilly Solid Podcast for insight and analysis about the Internet of Things and the worlds of hardware, software, and manufacturing.
Coelho and Raney worked with Cranor on the Pop-up Factory, a production line that manufactured connected devices on the floor of the Solid 2015 conference. The four of us reviewed the process of spinning up the factory (which took just two months from beginning to end), and the impact of live fabrication on attendees at the conference.
- Manufacturing as a creative process, and as an input for designers
- How 3D printing reduces iteration time and enables design and production to occur simultaneously
- Manufacturing as deployment
- Why the Pop-up Factory is analogous to the Hollywood model of film production
Links from the episode:
- The Pop-up Factory keynote panel at Solid 2015
- The Alike band, developed by Marcelo’s studio and distributed at the conference
- Seeed Studio’s RePhone modular phone
- Proto Labs, which made injection-molded parts for the Alike bands (hear our interview with Proto Labs’ Robert Bodor here)
Image by Zephyris on Wikimedia Commons.
- 3D printing: A new brick in the Great Wall
- How is UX for IoT different?
- 3D printing community rallies to create $5 hand for kid
- CU-Boulder researchers develop 4-D printing technology for composite materials
- Motorola inks 3D printing deal for customizable smartphone parts
- Inexpensive 3D Printer in the world
Tags: 3D printing
Subscribe to our stories
- Can Africa’s tech start-up scene rise to the next level? November 20, 2017
- Chocolate innovation: Sweet tooth hackers solve cocoa farmers’ challenges November 20, 2017
- A new generation of CEOs: Running a business in West Africa as a woman November 20, 2017
- Is crowdfunding the silver bullet to expanding innovation in the developing world? November 20, 2017
- Towards building an Entrepreneurship Ecosystem- Global Entrepreneurship Week and Freetown Pitch Night-The Role and Significance of the Freetown Pitch Night November 20, 2017