No retreat, no surrender: Scientists pledge to step up search for solution to MLN in East Africa
September 15, 2015 Editor 0
In the aftermath of an international conference on the diagnosis and management of maize lethal necrosis (MLN) in Africa in May 2015; the global research and development community vowed to step up efforts to find lasting solutions to the endemic disease in Kenya and Tanzania.
In a video published recently by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), MLN researchers say they are close to a breakthrough in developing MLN tolerant maize varieties, that will help farmers in East Africa successfully fight the disease.
The outbreak and rapid spread of MLN in East Africa is one of the key challenges to food security in the region because it affects the productivity of the widespread smallholder maize-based agricultural systems as well as the commercial maize production sector in the region.
Through the Africa RISING program, CIMMYT has been leading research efforts to develop maize varieties that are resistant to MLN using a crop-livestock intensification approach to improve the productivity of smallholder agricultural systems in Babati District, Tanzania. Through the initiative the researchers are also seeking to understand MLN epidemiology to develop suitable and integrated solutions to manage the threat posed by the disease.
Some promising maize hybrids have been identified by the Africa RISING project team, but more testing is required to validate how these varieties respond to the disease in hotspot areas under different agronomic and cultural practices.
- ‘Push–pull’ pest control to reach more African farmers
- East Africa: Plant Clinics Taking Root in East Africa
- East African cassava research gets major funding boost
- East African virtual incubation pilot to launch in Nairobi, Kenya
- The East Africa Climate Innovation Network: accelerating climate technology innovation in East Africa
- Study provides new insights on drought predictions in East Africa
Tags: East Africa
Subscribe to our stories
- Key lessons for policymakers from China’s financial inclusion experience April 24, 2018
- Can blockchain disrupt gender inequality? April 24, 2018
- Business incubation a means for effective business development April 24, 2018
- A network approach to growing green entrepreneurship April 24, 2018
- What sustainable intensification of mixed farming systems looks like in Ethiopia–case of the Africa RISING project April 24, 2018