Methodological approach and tools for systems thinking in health systems research: technical assistants’ support of health administration reform in the Democratic Republic of Congo as an application.
August 13, 2015 Editor 0
Methodological approach and tools for systems thinking in #health systems research: technical assistants’ support of health administration reform in the Democratic Republic of Congo as an application.
Glob Health Promot. 2015 Aug 10;
Authors: Ribesse N, Bossyns P, Marchal B, Karemere H, Burman CJ, Macq J
In the field of development cooperation, interest in systems thinking and complex systems theories as a methodological approach is increasingly recognised. And so it is in health systems research, which informs health development aid interventions. However, practical applications remain scarce to date. The objective of this article is to contribute to the body of knowledge by presenting the tools inspired by systems thinking and complexity theories and methodological lessons learned from their application. These tools were used in a case study. Detailed results of this study are in process for publication in additional articles. Applying a complexity ‘lens’, the subject of the case study is the role of long-term international technical assistance in supporting health administration reform at the provincial level in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The Methods section presents the guiding principles of systems thinking and complex systems, their relevance and implication for the subject under study, and the existing tools associated with those theories which inspired us in the design of the data collection and analysis process. The tools and their application processes are presented in the results section, and followed in the discussion section by the critical analysis of their innovative potential and emergent challenges. The overall methodology provides a coherent whole, each tool bringing a different and complementary perspective on the system.
PMID: 26260471 [PubMed – as supplied by publisher]
- [Change management: An analysis of actors; perceptions about technical assistance in the Democratic Republic of Congo].
- Training tomorrow’s global health leaders: applying a transtheoretical model to identify behavior change stages within an intervention for health leadership development.
- Assessing the implementation and influence of policies that support research and innovation systems for health: the cases of Mozambique, Senegal, and Tanzania.
- How to do better health reform: a snapshot of change and improvement initiatives in the health systems of 30 countries.
- On a path to accelerate access to Ebola vaccines: The WHO’s research and development efforts during the 2014-2016 Ebola epidemic in West Africa.
- EMIRA: Ecologic Malaria Reduction for Africa–innovative tools for integrated malaria control.
Tags: health systems
Subscribe to our stories
- The renaissance of farming systems research in Africa January 16, 2018
- Entrepreneurship competition encourages the Malian diaspora to start businesses on their home turf January 16, 2018
- India: Digital finance models for lending to small businesses January 16, 2018
- Powering up Africa through innovation January 16, 2018
- Which ones did you read and download?Africa RISING’s most popular online products and resources in 2017 January 16, 2018