Waste to liquid fuels: potency, progress and challenges
June 19, 2015 Editor 0
The valorization of municipal solid waste (MSW) into liquid fuels is a multi-beneficial global option for ensuring environmental and energy sustainability. The paper critically reviewed a wide range of recent literature on the potency, progress, and challenges associated with MSW upgrading into liquid fuels. Concise details on the various upgrading technologies involved such as gasification, pyrolysis, and syngas-to-fuels (i.e., syngas to gasoline and diesel) via a Fischer–Tropsch process were documented. Emphasis was critically given to the recent literature updates. The paper explored the role of heterogeneous catalyst systems in achieving the various processes with special considerations for optimizing fuel yield. Prospective technologies such as plasma gasification and nanoscale catalyst design with potentials to revolutionize the industry were also discussed. Copyright © 2015 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Waste upgrading into liquid fuels (i.e. gasoline and diesel) presents an important opportunity for handling numerous waste management challenges and ensuring global energy sustainability. The paper documented recent literature on the various processes involved, including the role of heterogeneous catalysts during upgrading. Waste gasification and the Fischer Tropsch process are the main areas extensively investigated. Plasma gasification and a nanocatalyst design are prospective areas for industrial consideration.
- Tomorrow’s fill-up could come from plastic waste
- Sludge power: Wastewater plants could become energy producers
- Hybrid power generation system of solar energy and fuel cells
- Photovoltaic cells energy performance enhancement with down-converting photoluminescence phosphors
- The brand-new metallization patterning processes for plated solar cells
- Waste Not, Want Not: Eco-Fuel Africa
Subscribe to our stories
- 9 Best Practices for Cleaning, Managing, and Tagging Your Data August 30, 2017
- Empowering agricultural extension agents to deliver improved farming technologies August 30, 2017
- Our Experiment Using Facebook Chatbots to Improve Humanitarian Assistance August 30, 2017
- Yes, Girls Can Code Software in Zambia! August 30, 2017
- A Novel Analysis of Mobile Phone Impact on Rural Farmers August 30, 2017