Measuring innovation platform contributions through participatory monitoring and evaluation
May 13, 2015 Editor 0
It is not easy to measure the contributions of innovation platforms (IPs) research and development outcomes. Some of the reasons have been documented in relations to FARA’s sub‐Saharan Africa challenge program.
From International Livestock Research Institute’s (ILRI) experience, the complex nature of issues and problems that IPs try to address and the emphasis given to the effective integration of IPs into the research process – rather than evaluating IPs contribution to intervention outcomes – have contributed to this information gap.
The Africa RISING project in Ethiopia is trying to fill this gap by developing a simple and systematic IP monitoring and evaluation framework. It tries to monitor and evaluate IPs at three performance levels: at establishment, by function, and at outcome levels. Some indicators are identified to assess changes within these performance levels.
We hope this process sheds more light on the information gaps we encountered and, most importantly, helps to foster joint learning among the different international and local partners working with Africa RISING.
- Ethiopia innovation platform meeting reports document progress and partnerships
- Innovation platforms – scaling research findings in Lemo, Ethiopia
- Africa RISING Ethiopia local partners join hands to scale farmer-preferred technologies
- Innovation and R4D platforms in Africa RISING: questioning sustainability
- Smallholder farmers in Ethiopia review successes and challenges in sheep fattening
- How theories of change contribute to Livestock and Fish research monitoring
Tags: innovation platform
Subscribe to our stories
- The renaissance of farming systems research in Africa January 16, 2018
- Entrepreneurship competition encourages the Malian diaspora to start businesses on their home turf January 16, 2018
- India: Digital finance models for lending to small businesses January 16, 2018
- Powering up Africa through innovation January 16, 2018
- Which ones did you read and download?Africa RISING’s most popular online products and resources in 2017 January 16, 2018