Can Open Data boost economic growth and prosperity?
September 2, 2014 Editor 0
What interventions are needed by governments – and by the World Bank – to stimulate and support the realization of the economic benefits of Open Data for everyone? How do we prioritize what kind of data is needed? These were some of the simmering questions that were posed at last Wednesday’s World Bank Live event. A collaborative effort among World Bank global practices and units – Transport and Information & Communications Technologies (ICT), the Development Data Group (DECDG), Open Finances, External and Corporate Relations, and others – this global policy dialogue event served as an opportunity to listen in on leading experts explaining and debating the latest evidence of the economic benefits of Open Data and how it can be applied to advance socioeconomic growth in the developing world.
From the short videoconference presentations we heard from five country officials, we learned that Open Data is already making an impact.
Examples of Open Data’s use and impact in India, Russia, Macedonia, Ghana, and Mexico
We first heard from Rajendra Kumar, Joint Secretary (eGov) at the Department of Electronics and Information Technology of India. “Ever since India launched its Open Government Data Platform, we’ve witnessed more government participation and interest – across ministries and state governments,” stated Kumar. He also pointed to an often underappreciated result of open data programs: increased data sharing among government agencies.
“Open Data is a major source for growth in Russia, especially for Internet and IT companies,” commented Ekaterina Shapochka, Advisor to the Russian Minister of Open Government. She also added that Open Data could help increase the quality of government services to its citizens.
- Big steps toward Ghana’s digital future
- New surveys reveal dynamism, challenges of open data-driven businesses in developing countries
- Using Open Data to drive innovation, collaboration and change in India
- The new bank for rural poor: The post office
- Is Open Data a goldmine for development?
- Global Ideas News Brief: Is there an app to save the world?
Subscribe to our stories
- Giving Francophone African incubators the keys to accelerate growth entrepreneurship February 13, 2018
- Is acceleration the panacea for scaling growth entrepreneurs? Reflections from XL Africa February 13, 2018
- Why providing pre-seed and seed capital is the essential step to bringing West Africa and Sahel’s entrepreneurs to the next level February 13, 2018
- Global Investment Competitiveness: New Insights on FDI February 2, 2018
- BioInnovate Africa phase II launched February 2, 2018