What Are Tech Company Start Up Costs in 6 African Countires?
July 7, 2014 Editor 0
As a venture capital firm, Savannah Fund is interested in the differing variables that can affect entrepreneurs in the countries of startups we have or will invest in. One of the key metrics we want to understand more about is first year startup costs.
In this research study, we asked hubs and about three startups per country for their first-year startup costs. These costs include: web hosting, internet, entry level engineer, engineer with 3-5 years of experience, shared apartment (for 3 people), workspace desk rental, legal costs, business permits, accounting, travel, and admin/sales.
While our sample size was relatively small, we were interested in seeing the differences between startup costs with a sample from our investments or potential investments.
There are a number of variables that could change these numbers, such as industry of startup, personal preferences of startups (which could affect size of home and willingness to spend on personal costs), etc. Also, since these numbers may vary from startup to startup within countries, we averaged the numbers we received.
This post is by Audrey Cheng who works for Savanna Fund
- How to Launch a Tech Hardware Startup in Africa
- Our Experiment Using Facebook Chatbots to Improve Humanitarian Assistance
- The 4 Most Exciting Developments Right Now in the African Tech Industry
- 6 Ways Development Organisations Can Support Kenyan Tech Startups
- Internet Connectivity Options and Status in Rural Kenya
- 4 Tips on How to Engage Farmers Using Communication Technologies
Subscribe to our stories
- The Partnership for Economic Policy Call for Project Proposals September 29, 2017
- 3 Uncommon Ways ICT Can Aid Delivery of High Impact Agricultural Research and Development September 29, 2017
- 20 Reasons You Should Integrate Tourism into Your Development Agenda September 29, 2017
- How Mobile Applications are Documenting Property Rights in Zambia September 29, 2017
- Which African Governments Spy on Technology Users the Most? September 29, 2017