Increasing the Impact of Financial Education: Approaches to Designing Financial Education Programs
March 26, 2014 Editor 0
Recent evaluations of a number of worldwide financial education programs reported widely varied outcomes. While some found evidence of effectiveness, others reported mixed or no evidence. Yet an increasing number of developing countries are putting financial education strategies in place or are expanding financial education programs. The quality of design of such strategies and programs is therefore crucial.
Financial education programs can be ad hoc targeted interventions, aimed at addressing specific financial education gaps, or they can be more comprehensive approaches through financial education or literacy strategies that aim to address a number of priorities. Regardless of the approach – which depends on the local context – financial education programs have a higher likelihood of greater positive impact if they are based on reliable diagnostic tools and focused on clearly defined and sequenced priorities.
Over the past two years, the Financial Inclusion and Consumer Protection team at the World Bank Group has conducted substantial technical and diagnostic work in the area of responsible finance. For example, we have developed methodologies for financial capability surveys and impact evaluation, and we have conducted a series of diagnostic reviews in the area of consumer protection and financial literacy on a global scale.
- Financial Education: What Works and What Doesn’t?
- Developing a financial inclusion strategy: 5 lessons from Paraguay
- Hidden Roadblocks: Structural Barriers that Limit Women’s Financial Inclusion
- Seeking Effective Policies to Promote Financial Inclusion
- Closing the gender finance gap: Three steps firms can take
- Cheap money: Addiction and ‘cold turkey’ risks
Categories: World Bank PSD
Subscribe to our stories
- Engineering growth: Innovative capacity and development April 11, 2017
- Innovation and R4D platforms in Africa RISING: questioning sustainability April 11, 2017
- A year in the life of an incubator April 11, 2017
- Integrated sheep improvement technologies showcased in Doyogena, Ethiopia March 16, 2017
- Good agriculture practices―low hanging fruits for Zambian farmers March 16, 2017