Science and Technology Minister creates new Centres of Excellence
February 19, 2014 Editor 0
The Department of Science and Technology reported on Tuesday that Science and Technology Minister Derek Hanekom had authorised the creation of five new Centres of Excellence (CoEs). The purpose of CoEs is to drive joint interdisciplinary research between research institutions and to develop high level skills in “priority research areas”.
“The new CoEs will contribute to South Africa’s knowledge-generation capacity, increase the number of world-class researchers and attract and retain research excellence,” said Hanekom. His decision takes the number of CoEs created since 2004 to 14.
CoEs head research in areas that are regarded as being of national interest. They are intended to speed up the provision of the necessary human resources and knowledge capacity. They also serve to make South African research more internationally competitive and to stimulate research excellence and develop capacity.
Go to Source
- ‘French season’ aims to cultivate science, technology and business partnerships
- Science, Technology and Innovation for Development in Africa
- China to increase support for African science
- Africa Needs to Invest More in ‘Life Sciences’ to Benefit from Technology
- African science initiative, RISE, likely to expand
- After big laser breakthrough, SA scientists focus on possible dynamic-control applications
Subscribe to our stories
- Kenyan scientists release five new canning bean varieties after sixty-year wait May 15, 2017
- Conceptual overview of social entrepreneurship and its relevance to Nigeria’s third sector May 15, 2017
- Industry environment features influencing construction innovation in a developing country: a case study of four projects in Ghana May 15, 2017
- Dairy production systems and the adoption of genetic and breeding technologies in Tanzania, Kenya, India and Nicaragua May 15, 2017
- Start-up from scratch? How entrepreneurship can generate sustainable development and inclusion in the Sahel May 15, 2017