What exactly is an entrepreneur?
February 17, 2014 Editor 0
Entrepreneurs are everybody’s favourite heroes. Politicians want to clone them. Popular television programmes such as “The Apprentice” and “Dragons’ Den” lionise them. School textbooks praise them. When the author of this blog was at Oxford “entrepreneur” was a dirty word. Today the Entrepreneur’s Society is one of the university’s most popular social clubs.
But what exactly is an entrepreneur? Here the warm glow of enthusiasm dissolves into intellectual confusion. There are two distinctive views. The first is the popular view: that entrepreneurs are people who run their own companies, the self-employed or small-business people. The second is Joseph Schumpeter’s view that entrepreneurs are innovators: people who come up with ideas and embody those ideas in high-growth companies.
Schumpeterians distinguish between “replicative” entrepreneurs (who set up small businesses much like other small businesses) and “innovative” entrepreneurs (who upset and disorganise the existing way of doing things). They also distinguish between “small businesses” and “high-growth businesses” (most small businesses…Continue reading
Go to Source
- Countries Full of Mistrustful People Are Less Entrepreneurial
- Vaal University, Sasol partner in entrepreneurship initiative
- Who Advises the Entrepreneur?
- Don’t Build Your Startup Outside of Silicon Valley
- Collaborative entrepreneurship and the fostering of entrepreneurialism in developing countries
- Evaluating the skills of emerging entrepreneurs in a developing economy
Innovation Support in Latin America and Europe: Theory, Practice and Policy in Innovation and Innovation Systems Africa: Southern, Eastern African Central Bank Officials Discuss the Mobile Financial Services Business
Subscribe to our stories
- Giving Francophone African incubators the keys to accelerate growth entrepreneurship February 13, 2018
- Is acceleration the panacea for scaling growth entrepreneurs? Reflections from XL Africa February 13, 2018
- Why providing pre-seed and seed capital is the essential step to bringing West Africa and Sahel’s entrepreneurs to the next level February 13, 2018
- Global Investment Competitiveness: New Insights on FDI February 2, 2018
- BioInnovate Africa phase II launched February 2, 2018