UN’s first data analysis lab in Africa — the innovations lab you didn’t know about
February 14, 2014 Editor 0
UN’s Kampala based pulse lab is preparing to kick start intensive data analyses at the fully fledged innovations laboratory in Kampala, Uganda — the first of it’s kind in Africa.
A Global Pulse team has worked in Kampala since the beginning of 2011 to foster partnerships between government, the United Nations and private sector, to understand information gaps and national priorities, identify potentially valuable data sources, and develop a strategic plan for solving local problems.
There are three big data UN sponsored labs all over the world. These labs are subsidiaries of UN’s Global pulse labs network and they include the Pulse labs in New York, Jakarta and recently in Kampala.
The growing need to formulate data driven decisions has brought about creation of initiatives to mine data within the local areas affected. Besides the pulse lab in Kampala, there are also other initiatives by some collaboration and innovation spaces such as the iHUB and Outbox’s research wings which are geared at sharing stories about the vibrant East African technology community by conducting ICT research on technology innovation within the community.
The Kampala Pulse Lab is supported by the National Planning Authority (NPA) of the Ugandan Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development; the Ugandan Bureau of Statistics; the UN Resident Coordinator; and Makerere University among others. The Lab will build on UNICEF’s work in Uganda on technology innovation and mobile phones for rapid data collection and analysis.
Image via Global Pulse lab
The post UN’s first data analysis lab in Africa — the innovations lab you didn’t know about appeared first on TechPost.
- Uganda: Blending Agriculture and Mobile Phones
- Roadconexion wants to provide Ugandan Road users with real-time crowd-sourced traffic information
- Makerere reaps over 9 PALITA Awards 2013
- Mobile Monday Kampala AppCircus is back
- Crowdsourcing Feedback to Improve Healthcare Systems
- Proggie.ug is your go to guide for all events in Kampala
Subscribe to our stories
- Scaling Technology Solutions with Development Engineering July 21, 2017
- Illuminating the developing world’s “invisible” consumers July 18, 2017
- Helping Somalia attract private investment will require realism, rigor and reforms July 18, 2017
- Mapping Morocco’s green entrepreneurship ecosystem July 18, 2017
- Social entrepreneurship, age and gender: toward a model of social involvement in entrepreneurship July 18, 2017