Comoros’ Next Chapter – Revitalizing Growth in a Post-Conflict Environment
February 7, 2014 Editor 0
What does it take revitalize private sector growth in a post-conflict country?
In the Union of the Comoros, an archipelago nation off the coast of East Africa, decades of institutional instability are giving way to the re-establishment of political calm, and, in the process, setting the stage for a better business environment.
But challenges abound. Entrepreneurs and investors alike still face numerous administrative barriers to starting a business, getting credit, or even accessing investment guarantees.
The World Bank Group and a community of international partners have been working with the Comorian government and the private sector since 2010 to find ways to minimize such barriers. Since that time, a series of regulatory reforms have been introduced. Steady improvements to the investment climate were seen in this year’s Doing Business report. Reforms have reduced the number of days and procedures needed to start a business among other indicators. And by recently joining the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), the Comoros has boosted its investment potential by providing political risk insurance to foreign investors.
In this video, below and online, see how these reforms and institutional collaboration are signaling the start of a new chapter for this post-conflict country.
Comoros’ Next Chapter
- Is Africa ‘Rising’ or ‘Falling’?
- Nigeria: AU Urged to Create African Science Fund
- Stretching Your Global Mindset
- SA to host first Brics science, technology and innovation Ministerial meeting
- Nigeria: Young Nigerian Scientist Shines in India
- Tracking the impact of investment climate reform in Sub-Saharan Africa
Categories: World Bank PSD
Subscribe to our stories
- Scaling Technology Solutions with Development Engineering July 21, 2017
- Illuminating the developing world’s “invisible” consumers July 18, 2017
- Helping Somalia attract private investment will require realism, rigor and reforms July 18, 2017
- Mapping Morocco’s green entrepreneurship ecosystem July 18, 2017
- Social entrepreneurship, age and gender: toward a model of social involvement in entrepreneurship July 18, 2017