Hybrid purposes of performance appraisal in a crisis
November 7, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – Purpose/Design: This theoretical paper examines one aspect of the implementation of the performance appraisal with a focus on its operation in an economic downturn and particularly a global economic crisis. Design/methodology/approach – It identifies the stated purposes of the performance appraisal in multinational corporations (MNCs) and explores the unstated purposes of the performance appraisal, which emerge during performance evaluation and feedback stages. The paper then investigates the different expectations employees and managers have of the performance appraisal and finally examines the changes to these expectations in an economic downturn.
Findings – Findings: The principal conclusion that can be drawn from this analysis is that there is a weakness in the design and substance of the performance appraisal research. The international appraisal is not exclusively conditioned by culture but also by the numerous contextual-organizational, institutional and economic factors found in the typical MNC
Practical implications – Practical implications: It is suggested that possible strategies could include careful implementation of performance appraisal with attention to both the cultural and contextual environment. It is argued that by addressing both cultural and contextual variables the appraisal will be effective in helping achieve the MNC’s strategic goals, even in a time of global economic crisis.
Originality/value – Originality: This paper adds to the body of knowledge of international human resource management research by illuminating the consequences of an uncertain economic environment on performance management across borders and also paves the way for future research in this important area of management research.
Go to Source
- Can competencies at selection predict performance and development needs?
- Identity struggle, professional development and career: A career/life history of a human resource management professional
- Do “rising stars” avoid risk?: status-based labels and decision making
- Innovation and Culture – Two Halves of the Same Coin
- How a Bathtub-Shaped Graph Helped a Company Avoid Disaster
- Increase Workplace Flexibility and Boost Performance
Subscribe to our stories
- The renaissance of farming systems research in Africa January 16, 2018
- Entrepreneurship competition encourages the Malian diaspora to start businesses on their home turf January 16, 2018
- India: Digital finance models for lending to small businesses January 16, 2018
- Powering up Africa through innovation January 16, 2018
- Which ones did you read and download?Africa RISING’s most popular online products and resources in 2017 January 16, 2018