Innovation in Africa
September 24, 2013 Editor 0
Its a cause for concern than most of the important innovations relevant to Africa are still been undertaken outside the continent. Lack of innovation systems is certainly one reason for this. We can also add resources in terms of money and institutions for research and higher learner.
Nonetheless, we also know that access to information knowledge, academic research and scientific papers do provide a rich source for individuals and companies looking for good ideas and solutions.
This was one of the primary motivation that I had when I started innovationafrica eight years ago. We would provide relevant content in science, technology and business in order that individuals and companies than learn about the important breakthroughs. Some topics we report on might seem irrelevant. However, these are important developments that can solve some of our problems. For example, developments in nano technology, solar panel technology, 3D printing, fibre optic and even design…yes design.
Last week, listening to the BBC, I heard a person from the States discussing her idea for drone as means to solve the transportation problem in Lesotho. I could not believe what I was hearing. She is America, has never been to Africa. She read a report by the World Bank that stated the cost of building one kilometre of road in Lesotho amounts to 4 million dollars. She then thought ok….innovation…what is the solution? She has obviously been reading about the use of drones in non military purposes.
Keep visiting innovationafrica, spread the word. Innovationafrica is a rich repository of content that provides ideas, learning and inspiration. So next time, when I listen to the BBC, I will hear someone from the continent with an innovative idea on how to solve the traffic jam in Nairobi!
Francis Stevens George
- Nanowires Have the Power to Revolutionize Solar Energy
- Putting Africa First: The Making of African Innovation Systems
- Nano ‘tea bag’ purifies water
- Off-grid sterilization with Rice U.’s ‘solar steam’
- Innovation Africa: enriching farmers’ livelihoods
- Scientists develop heat-resistant materials that could vastly improve solar cell efficiency
Subscribe to our stories
- The renaissance of farming systems research in Africa January 16, 2018
- Entrepreneurship competition encourages the Malian diaspora to start businesses on their home turf January 16, 2018
- India: Digital finance models for lending to small businesses January 16, 2018
- Powering up Africa through innovation January 16, 2018
- Which ones did you read and download?Africa RISING’s most popular online products and resources in 2017 January 16, 2018