[Infographic] Africa Mobile connections predicted to explode to almost a billion by 2017
September 24, 2013 Editor 0
A new infographic by InternetServiceProviders.org is predicting that Africa mobile connection will grow at a rate of 6.5% from 2012 to 2017 implying that the connections will go from 683 million in 2012 to 93 Million in 2017.
Currently Africa accounts for only 7% of the world’s internet users in the world, with most Internet activity and infrastructure concentrated in South Africa, Morocco, Egypt as well as smaller economies like Mauritius and Seychelles.
While the telecommunications market in Africa is still in its early stages of development, it is also one of the fastest-growing in the world. In the 2000s, mobile telephony in Africa has been booming, and mobile telephony is now substantially more widespread than fixed line telephony. Telecommunication companies in Africa are looking at Broadband Wireless Access technologies such as 3G and now 4G LTE as the key to make Internet available to the population at large. Projects are being completed that aim at the realization of Internet backbones that might help cut the cost of bandwidth in African countries which currently is a huge bottleneck in the adoption of internet services in the continent.
Who will be the next billion internet users and how will they look like?
The post [Infographic] Africa Mobile connections predicted to explode to almost a billion by 2017 appeared first on TechPost.
- Africa: Wireless Broadband Use Up but Least Developed Countries Left Behind, UN Reports
- Africa can profit from the US$500 billion global Business Process Outsourcing boom – says ECA’s Opoku-Mensah
- Assessment of the potential of using photovoltaic panels in a typical Mauritian household
- Egypt: New Egyptian Tablet; in Markets Before End of Year
- Tazkarty: one-stop-shop model for restaurant tables, events, hotels and clubs
- Africa: Filling the White Spaces – Broadcast Broadband in Africa
Subscribe to our stories
- Giving Francophone African incubators the keys to accelerate growth entrepreneurship February 13, 2018
- Is acceleration the panacea for scaling growth entrepreneurs? Reflections from XL Africa February 13, 2018
- Why providing pre-seed and seed capital is the essential step to bringing West Africa and Sahel’s entrepreneurs to the next level February 13, 2018
- Global Investment Competitiveness: New Insights on FDI February 2, 2018
- BioInnovate Africa phase II launched February 2, 2018