User-Centric Service Map for Identifying New Service Opportunities from Potential Needs: A Case of App Store Applications
September 4, 2013 Editor 0
Today, service innovation is just as important as product innovation. The ideation of service innovation, vis-à-vis product innovation, is user-oriented, rather than maker-oriented. Thus, capturing and understanding user context is key to being able to offer personalized and relevant services, and further identify new service opportunities. Therefore, a user-centric approach is needed in new service development, especially in the era of ubiquitous service. There exists a rich literature on how to incorporate customers into new service development, but most has focused only on their expressed needs, and failed to identify potential needs. In response, this paper proposes a ‘user-centric service map’, which first visualizes the portfolio of existing services based on the dictionary of potential needs and then helps to investigate vacuums that can provide a concrete shape for new service opportunities. The suggested approach is composed of three parts: first, constructing a potential needs dictionary, second, developing a service map, and finally, identifying new service opportunities. A case study of Apple’s App Store services is conducted to verify the feasibility and utility of the proposed approach and offer strategic implications.
- Stochastic inventory model for imperfect production processes
- Lessons from Ideation: Where Does User Involvement Lead Us?
- Improving high variable-low volume operations: an exploration into the lean product development
- Observing discussion forums and product innovation – A way to create consumer value? Case heart-rate monitors
- Innovativeness: a team knowledge and communication perspective
- A database-centred approach to the development of new mobile service concepts
Subscribe to our stories
- Can Africa’s tech start-up scene rise to the next level? November 20, 2017
- Chocolate innovation: Sweet tooth hackers solve cocoa farmers’ challenges November 20, 2017
- A new generation of CEOs: Running a business in West Africa as a woman November 20, 2017
- Is crowdfunding the silver bullet to expanding innovation in the developing world? November 20, 2017
- Towards building an Entrepreneurship Ecosystem- Global Entrepreneurship Week and Freetown Pitch Night-The Role and Significance of the Freetown Pitch Night November 20, 2017