Key determinants of the successful adoption of new product development methods
May 24, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – In recent years, scholars have devoted increasing attention to the use of methods in new product development. Although their positive impact on product success has been confirmed by a series of studies, little research has so far been conducted into the determinants of the successful method application. The purpose of this paper is to analyze two key determinants for the successful use of methods.
Design/methodology/approach – We adopt a structural equation modeling approach and analyze the subject based on a large empirical sample of 410 product development projects. Findings – The way the new product development process is formalized and the extent of top management support have a significant influence on the successful application of methods. Both factors lead to the use of more methods overall and drive the more thorough and intensive deployment of the specific methods used.
Practical implications – We show how firms that are seeking a more methodical approach to new product development can consciously create the right determinants for the successful adoption of methods and by doing that can increase the success rate of their new product development activities.
Originality/value – Our research adds to the literature on success factors of new product development in two distinct ways. First, we investigate the subject at the level of specific product development projects, based on a large empirical sample and using a structural equation modeling approach, for the first time. Second, the methods investigated were chosen in a systematic, multistep process in which the methods used by several functions involved in new product development were taken into account.
Go to Source
- Platform-based Product Design and Environmental Turbulence: The Mediating Role of Strategic Flexibility
- Applying lean in product development – enabler or inhibitor of creativity?
- The rise of social product development
- Enhancing New Product Development (NPD) Portfolio Performance by Shaping the Development Funnel
- Lessons from Ideation: Where Does User Involvement Lead Us?
- The Future of Prototyping Is Now Live
Subscribe to our stories
- The renaissance of farming systems research in Africa January 16, 2018
- Entrepreneurship competition encourages the Malian diaspora to start businesses on their home turf January 16, 2018
- India: Digital finance models for lending to small businesses January 16, 2018
- Powering up Africa through innovation January 16, 2018
- Which ones did you read and download?Africa RISING’s most popular online products and resources in 2017 January 16, 2018