How do different business models affect intellectual capital?
May 20, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to investigate whether value-creating activities and intellectual capital (IC) accumulation are affected by different business models. Design/methodology/approach – Field visitations and interview-based questionnaires are used for data collection. This study uses the structural equation model to examine Taiwanese original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and original brand manufacturers (OBMs) in China. Findings – Empirical results show that Taiwanese OEMs and OBMs adopt different combinations of value-creating activities, which results in differences in IC accumulation. Taiwanese OEMs have engaged in manufacturing and innovation activities, and have created process and innovation capitals. By contrast, Taiwanese OBMs have developed their marketing channels, human resources, innovation centres, and social networks, and have accumulated their human, customer, process and innovation capitals.
Practical implications – Taiwanese OEMs have cultural advantages and have built productive infrastructure in China. Therefore, these enterprises should transform their business models into OBMs to enhance their market performance. Foreign investors could leverage the experiences and IC of Taiwanese enterprises to make their investments run more smoothly. Originality/value – This paper contributes to the existing literature by investigating relationships among business models, value-creating activities, and IC. This study also provides useful guidance for enterprises considering investing in China and for academics researching in this area.
Go to Source
- Business Model Innovation: Propositions on the Appropriateness of Different Learning Approaches
- Smarter Ways to Bridge the Innovation Gap
- Business Models: Are You Entering a Market or Building One?
- Business-to-Individual Business Models
- Take your Business Model to the Next Level
- Soft Underbelly of Business Model Innovation
Categories: Public Sector
Subscribe to our stories
- The Partnership for Economic Policy Call for Project Proposals September 29, 2017
- 3 Uncommon Ways ICT Can Aid Delivery of High Impact Agricultural Research and Development September 29, 2017
- 20 Reasons You Should Integrate Tourism into Your Development Agenda September 29, 2017
- How Mobile Applications are Documenting Property Rights in Zambia September 29, 2017
- Which African Governments Spy on Technology Users the Most? September 29, 2017