Eric Schmidt at the iHub
January 17, 2013 Editor 0
iHub earlier today hosted Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman of Google .
The journey with Google and iHub over the last 2 years
Google has been one of iHub’s major partners, collaborating in projects, working with the tech community and funding the expansion of the iHub space, and the build out of the UX Lab and the iHub Cluster.
Google and iHub have grown together with the community over the last two years learning from each other through events such as Ladies Mapping parties, Trainings on Google Earth, Fireside Chats with Marissa Mayer, Office Hours with Bob Aman andHackathons . These sessions have strengthened our collaboration and through them we identified areas to work together and strengthen the iHub community further.
In early 2012, iHub announced funding from Google to support the iHub community.
The funds were to:
- Expand our infrastructure (network and server technology) to provide the tech community with a “sandbox” to host and test their applications
- Set up an experimental super-computer cluster environment to host data intensive applications which require high performance computing.
Part of the funds from Google went into setting up the iHub Cluster . The supercomputer is dubbed ISIOLO – [Immanently SuperCharged Infinitely Omnipotent Limitless Operationator) , and is touted as one of the region’s most powerful computing cluster. The team is made up of Phares Kariuki , Idd Salim and Jimmy Gitonga.
Go to our G+ Page for more photos.
Subscribe to our stories
- Giving Francophone African incubators the keys to accelerate growth entrepreneurship February 13, 2018
- Is acceleration the panacea for scaling growth entrepreneurs? Reflections from XL Africa February 13, 2018
- Why providing pre-seed and seed capital is the essential step to bringing West Africa and Sahel’s entrepreneurs to the next level February 13, 2018
- Global Investment Competitiveness: New Insights on FDI February 2, 2018
- BioInnovate Africa phase II launched February 2, 2018