What Can be Done with an Egg? Creativity, Material Objects, and the Theory of Affordances
December 12, 2012 Editor 0
This article offers a reflection on the role of material objects in the creative process and explores the potential links between creativity and the theory of affordances (Gibson, ), conceptualized from a sociocultural perspective. From this standpoint, creativity can be defined as a process of perceiving, exploiting, and “generating” novel affordances during socially and materially situated activities. Illustrations are offered for each of the above from a research project investigating traditional Easter egg decoration activities in rural Romania. This brief case study exemplifies the discovery of existing action potentials, the generation of objects with novel affordances, and the transgression of conventional procedures, all resulting in creative forms of expression. In the end, some conclusions are drawn regarding the ways in which an affordance theory of creativity can enrich our understanding of the phenomenon and contribute to the development of a new program of research concerned with situated and distributed creative acts.
- Creativity, Problem Solving, and Solution Set Sightedness: Radically Reformulating BVSR
- “We’ve Got Creative Differences”: The Effects of Task Conflict and Participative Safety on Team Creative Performance
- Thinking Outside the Clocks: The Effect of Layered-Task Time on the Creative Climate of Meetings
- 4 Ways To Amplify Your Creativity
- Is Nurturing Creativity a Luxury or a Necessity for Schools in Developing Nations?
- Linear and Nonlinear Thinking: A Multidimensional Model and Measure
Subscribe to our stories
- Organisational resilience: building business value in a changing world August 2, 2017
- Stakeholder involvement, knowledge, and gender norms key for effective rainwater management August 1, 2017
- The absorptive capacity as a key success factor in international strategic alliances: a study of Tunisian firms July 29, 2017
- A social affair: identifying motivation of social entrepreneurs July 29, 2017
- How Africa RISING interventions affecting production diversity and dietary quality July 28, 2017