Introduction to Infographics and Data Visualization
October 31, 2012 Editor 0
The Knight Center for Journalism in the Americas is launching its first “massive open online course” or MOOC, a new kind of e-learning program designed for a large number of students – it is free and accessible to anyone from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection.
What this means is that visualization and info graphics is not just for the data journalists, statisticians and researchers. You too can learn how to visualize that important information that you have in a way that is easily understood by others.
It will be interesting to see how this niche grows in the East African region, as efforts in opening up data through Kenya Open Data Initiative (KODI), efforts in translating this data into applications , systems and platforms that can be used by citizens (Code4Kenya) and Visualizations and Infographics gain momentum.
The popularity of visualization and info graphics has risen, as different industries – particularly journalism and research -which have been dealing with data for many years, wholly embrace the powers of visualization, and data representation to tell great stories, and show impact at a glance. (See How The Guardian does it)
I have seen a huge boom in just these past few years, and it keeps getting better. Improvements in technology have made it extremely easy to collect and store data , and the web lets you access it whenever you want. This wealth in data can , in the right hands, provide a wealth of information to help improve decision making, communicate ideas more clearly, and provide a more objective window looking in at how you look at the world and yourself. – Nathan Yau
Subscribe to our stories
- The Partnership for Economic Policy Call for Project Proposals September 29, 2017
- 3 Uncommon Ways ICT Can Aid Delivery of High Impact Agricultural Research and Development September 29, 2017
- 20 Reasons You Should Integrate Tourism into Your Development Agenda September 29, 2017
- How Mobile Applications are Documenting Property Rights in Zambia September 29, 2017
- Which African Governments Spy on Technology Users the Most? September 29, 2017