The $450 Billion Opportunity: Catalyzing Smallholder Agricultural Finance
October 5, 2012 Editor 0
The world’s 450 million smallholder farmers represent a large – and largely unmet – opportunity for agricultural financing. As population growth and rising incomes create unprecedented demand for food, multinational companies increasingly rely on smallholders to secure their supply of agricultural commodities. As a result, smallholders present a compelling opportunity for buyers, lenders, and other actors in the agricultural value chain. However, smallholder production is often characterized by low yields, low quality, poor linkages, and little access to finance.
- Promoting Innovative Agricultural Businesses in Zimbabwe
- A Growing Lifeline: Mobile Technologies in Agricultural Development
- The BIG Smallholder Opportunity
- Non-traditional private equity financing can be a win-win solution for SMEs
- Advancing research to support smallholder farmers
- Is Africa ready to climb the value chain in agriculture?
Categories: Next Billion
Subscribe to our stories
- The Partnership for Economic Policy Call for Project Proposals September 29, 2017
- 3 Uncommon Ways ICT Can Aid Delivery of High Impact Agricultural Research and Development September 29, 2017
- 20 Reasons You Should Integrate Tourism into Your Development Agenda September 29, 2017
- How Mobile Applications are Documenting Property Rights in Zambia September 29, 2017
- Which African Governments Spy on Technology Users the Most? September 29, 2017