The $450 Billion Opportunity: Catalyzing Smallholder Agricultural Finance
October 5, 2012 Editor 0
The world’s 450 million smallholder farmers represent a large – and largely unmet – opportunity for agricultural financing. As population growth and rising incomes create unprecedented demand for food, multinational companies increasingly rely on smallholders to secure their supply of agricultural commodities. As a result, smallholders present a compelling opportunity for buyers, lenders, and other actors in the agricultural value chain. However, smallholder production is often characterized by low yields, low quality, poor linkages, and little access to finance.
- Promoting Innovative Agricultural Businesses in Zimbabwe
- A Growing Lifeline: Mobile Technologies in Agricultural Development
- The BIG Smallholder Opportunity
- Non-traditional private equity financing can be a win-win solution for SMEs
- Advancing research to support smallholder farmers
- Is Africa ready to climb the value chain in agriculture?
Categories: Next Billion
Subscribe to our stories
- The renaissance of farming systems research in Africa January 16, 2018
- Entrepreneurship competition encourages the Malian diaspora to start businesses on their home turf January 16, 2018
- India: Digital finance models for lending to small businesses January 16, 2018
- Powering up Africa through innovation January 16, 2018
- Which ones did you read and download?Africa RISING’s most popular online products and resources in 2017 January 16, 2018