Similarities, challenges and opportunities of Wikipedia content and open source projects
October 2, 2012 Editor 0
Several years of research and evidence have demonstrated that open source software portals often contain a large amount of software projects that simply do not evolve, developed by relatively small communities, struggling to attract a sustained number of contributors.
These portals have started to increasingly act as a storage for abandoned projects, and researchers and practitioners should try and point out how to take advantage of such content. Similarly, other online content portals (like Wikipedia) could be harvested for valuable content. In this paper we argue that, even with differences in the requested expertise, many projects reliant on content and contributions by users undergo a similar evolution, and follow similar patterns: when a project fails to attract contributors, it appears to be not evolving, or abandoned.
Far from a negative finding, even those projects could provide valuable content that should be harvested and identified based on common characteristics: by using the attributes of ‘usefulness’ and ‘modularity’ we isolate valuable content in both Wikipedia pages and open source software projects. Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
See the original post here: Similarities, challenges and opportunities of Wikipedia content and open source projects
- Introducing Internet-Based Services in the Mountain Areas of Nepal: An Asset Pentagon Perspective
- Facts, trends and challenges in modern software development
- Dear Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Benin: Have You Heard of Wikipedia?
- Wikipedia Zero may be the empirical answer to Africa’s Education woes
- Even Sleeping Smartphones Could Soon Hear Spoken Commands
- 2go set for availability on smartphones
Tags: appears, attract, content and open source projects, contributions, contributors, evolving, fails, follow, harvested, opportunities of Wikipedia content and open, portals, project, software, source, undergo, users, wikipedia
Subscribe to our stories
- The renaissance of farming systems research in Africa January 16, 2018
- Entrepreneurship competition encourages the Malian diaspora to start businesses on their home turf January 16, 2018
- India: Digital finance models for lending to small businesses January 16, 2018
- Powering up Africa through innovation January 16, 2018
- Which ones did you read and download?Africa RISING’s most popular online products and resources in 2017 January 16, 2018