Similarities, challenges and opportunities of Wikipedia content and open source projects
October 2, 2012 Editor 0
Several years of research and evidence have demonstrated that open source software portals often contain a large amount of software projects that simply do not evolve, developed by relatively small communities, struggling to attract a sustained number of contributors.
These portals have started to increasingly act as a storage for abandoned projects, and researchers and practitioners should try and point out how to take advantage of such content. Similarly, other online content portals (like Wikipedia) could be harvested for valuable content. In this paper we argue that, even with differences in the requested expertise, many projects reliant on content and contributions by users undergo a similar evolution, and follow similar patterns: when a project fails to attract contributors, it appears to be not evolving, or abandoned.
Far from a negative finding, even those projects could provide valuable content that should be harvested and identified based on common characteristics: by using the attributes of ‘usefulness’ and ‘modularity’ we isolate valuable content in both Wikipedia pages and open source software projects. Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
See the original post here: Similarities, challenges and opportunities of Wikipedia content and open source projects
- Introducing Internet-Based Services in the Mountain Areas of Nepal: An Asset Pentagon Perspective
- Facts, trends and challenges in modern software development
- Dear Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Benin: Have You Heard of Wikipedia?
- Wikipedia Zero may be the empirical answer to Africa’s Education woes
- Even Sleeping Smartphones Could Soon Hear Spoken Commands
- 2go set for availability on smartphones
Tags: appears, attract, content and open source projects, contributions, contributors, evolving, fails, follow, harvested, opportunities of Wikipedia content and open, portals, project, software, source, undergo, users, wikipedia
Subscribe to our stories
- Key lessons for policymakers from China’s financial inclusion experience April 24, 2018
- Can blockchain disrupt gender inequality? April 24, 2018
- Business incubation a means for effective business development April 24, 2018
- A network approach to growing green entrepreneurship April 24, 2018
- What sustainable intensification of mixed farming systems looks like in Ethiopia–case of the Africa RISING project April 24, 2018