Perseverance strategies of enterprising individuals
September 25, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to arrive at a conceptual understanding of perseverance processes in the context of enterprising behavior and to outline readily employable perseverance strategies for situations characterized by obstacles, challenges and setbacks.
Design/methodology/approach – This paper presents a process model of perseverance, drawing on elements of control theory and appraisal theory.
Findings – From this model, a variety of perseverance strategies within four broad categories is derived: strategies that affect adversity itself; strategies that change the way adversity is perceived; strategies that reframe the aim that adversity has made difficult to attain; and strategies that help to increase self-regulatory strength. James Dyson’s biography provides examples for the strategies.
Practical implications – The paper discusses a broad variety of strategies to help individuals persevere in reaching their enterprising goals. Originality/value – Although it is a widely held perception that perseverance is needed to successfully start and run a venture, the perseverance process and perseverance strategies have received little research attention.
Go to Source
- Perseverance Strategies of Enterprising Individuals
- HOW COMMUNITY VENTURES MOBILISE RESOURCES: DEVELOPING RESOURCE DEPENDENCE AND EMBEDDEDNESS
- Becoming entrepreneurial: gaining legitimacy in the nascent phase
- Influences of gendered institutions on women’s entry into entrepreneurship
- Relevance of Systems Thinking and Scientific Holism to Social Entrepreneurship
- A social enterprise business model for social entrepreneurs: theoretical foundations and model development
Subscribe to our stories
- Giving Francophone African incubators the keys to accelerate growth entrepreneurship February 13, 2018
- Is acceleration the panacea for scaling growth entrepreneurs? Reflections from XL Africa February 13, 2018
- Why providing pre-seed and seed capital is the essential step to bringing West Africa and Sahel’s entrepreneurs to the next level February 13, 2018
- Global Investment Competitiveness: New Insights on FDI February 2, 2018
- BioInnovate Africa phase II launched February 2, 2018