Intellectual Capital in the Caribbean Hospitality Industry: Two Case Studies
September 24, 2012 Editor 0
Publishers note (FSG): Lessons for Hotel chains in Africa
This paper explores the relevance and awareness of IC in two hotel chains in the Caribbean. A qualitative exploratory case study method was used to gain an in-depth understanding of the constructs relating to IC within indigenous Caribbean hotels. The data collection procedures employed were documentation, archival records and twenty interviews with top managers. Content analysis was used as the major technique for analyzing the data.
The major finding is that there is no formal recognition of the construct of IC, but the embedded practices within the organisations suggested the presence of such. The data clustering and analysis of the evidence suggested two themes for HC -personal competencies and human resource praxes; three themes for RC – customer capital, brand and community capital; and three themes for SC – information systems, innovation and organization.
The case studies furtherrevealed that the chains had embedded human resource practices and well established customer relationship management
systems which created linkages among the components of IC.
- Supporting creativity through knowledge integration during the creative processes. A management control system perspective
- Linking Supply Chains, Farmers and Sustainability
- International R&D Transfer and Technical Efficiency: Evidence from Panel Study Using Stochastic Frontier Analysis
- Reviewing The Influence Of IT Applications Such As Implementing Online Distribution Channels In Hotel Industry
- Whole-genome sequencing of Africa’s hunter-gatherers elucidates human variation and ancient interbreeding
- Decisions, Decisions: Why humans can’t seem to make the “right” choices
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- Be a Data Visualization Expert with TechChange’s Online Diploma Program September 22, 2017
- 9 Best Practices for Cleaning, Managing, and Tagging Your Data August 30, 2017
- Empowering agricultural extension agents to deliver improved farming technologies August 30, 2017
- Our Experiment Using Facebook Chatbots to Improve Humanitarian Assistance August 30, 2017
- Yes, Girls Can Code Software in Zambia! August 30, 2017