We like a good business model…Meet M-KOPA
September 6, 2012 Editor 0
The benefits of solar and the technology end are clear. What is now needed are business models that will serve the BOP market. We picked up a piece in the Economist which mentioned M-KOPA.
M-KOPA was established in 2011 following successful consumer trials in Kenya during 2010.
M-KOPA Solar is a revolutionary service which makes high quality d.light solar home systems affordable for rural Kenyans. Customers can conveniently purchase a solar system on a pay-as-you-go basis using M-PESA.
- Transforming solar pumping to eliminate rural poverty
- Guestpost: Business Models, Entrepreneurship, and Poverty Alleviation in Kenya
- Time to let loose? Why lawmakers should ease up on mobile banking rules
- Research team developing model for sustainable desert living
- Solar eclipse: The rise and ‘dusk’ of the Dutch PV innovation system
- Solar Now, Water Later
Subscribe to our stories
- Can Africa’s tech start-up scene rise to the next level? November 20, 2017
- Chocolate innovation: Sweet tooth hackers solve cocoa farmers’ challenges November 20, 2017
- A new generation of CEOs: Running a business in West Africa as a woman November 20, 2017
- Is crowdfunding the silver bullet to expanding innovation in the developing world? November 20, 2017
- Towards building an Entrepreneurship Ecosystem- Global Entrepreneurship Week and Freetown Pitch Night-The Role and Significance of the Freetown Pitch Night November 20, 2017