Developing a Corporate Knowledge Management Strategy
August 19, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to explore the development of a Knowledge Management Strategy at the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and how this was used to improve the activities of the payments system processes of the Bank.
Design/methodology/approach – Literature research and a case study were used.Findings – The need to align KM Strategy with Business Strategy was identified as critical to the success of KM. It was discovered that focusing KM on the payments system process areas helped create value and drive business results. A combined approach of codification and personalization was adopted for the KM program of CBN. The strategy adopted involved using a two-pronged approach of Communities of Practice and a functional portal to drive knowledge management. The paper identified that this strategy is adding value to the organization and increasing knowledge flows across a dispersed and distributed work environment.
Originality/value – Knowledge management in large public sector organizations in Africa is not common. Equally, KM in regulatory financial institutions like Central Banks in Africa is not very common. This paper highlights the challenges of implementing a KM program in a distributed, dispersed and networked public sector organization with thirty six branches serving a population of 160 million people in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Go to Source
- Knowledge Management Fishbone: A Standard Framework of Organizational Enablers
- Innovation Financing, Industrial production and the Growth of Nigeria¡¦s Non-oil Exports
- Strategic control and corporate entrepreneurship: an empirical study
- Open Innovation in Nigeria
- Managing knowledge in a service provider: a network structure based model
- An analysis of Mobile Technology in West Africa: The Case Of Nigeria, Ghana and Cote D’Ivoire
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- Be a Data Visualization Expert with TechChange’s Online Diploma Program September 22, 2017
- 9 Best Practices for Cleaning, Managing, and Tagging Your Data August 30, 2017
- Empowering agricultural extension agents to deliver improved farming technologies August 30, 2017
- Our Experiment Using Facebook Chatbots to Improve Humanitarian Assistance August 30, 2017
- Yes, Girls Can Code Software in Zambia! August 30, 2017