Innovation Capability: From Technology Development to Transaction Capability
July 29, 2012 Editor 0
The firm’s role, besides producing goods and services, is to promote technological change and innovation. While academic research on technological capabilities has led to a better understanding of the process of technical change itself, there is no consensus on the ultimate definition of innovation capability. The purpose of this paper is to present a framework for innovation capability. This is formed by four key capabilities (technology development, operations, management and transaction) that enable firms to reach Schumpeterian profits. Given that the study is characterized as a theoretical paper, methodologically is supported on an extensive literature review.
Our main findings can be summed up in three aspects: (1) every firm has all four capabilities; none of them are null; (2) to be innovative, at least one of the firm’s capabilities must be predominant; (3) any firm, when established, is primarily technological or transactional, in a second stage, operational or managerial.
Go to Source
- Influence of knowledge networking, knowledge base, and knowledge strategy on innovation capability
- Beneficial use of science key to post-2015 development
- Is Your Social Venture Really Worth Scaling?
- Rethinking the Function of Business Functions
- An investigation of the moderating influence of NPD speed on the organisational integration-new product market success and NPD process proficiency-new product market success relationships
- Determinants of innovation capacity: Empirical evidence from services firms
Subscribe to our stories
- The renaissance of farming systems research in Africa January 16, 2018
- Entrepreneurship competition encourages the Malian diaspora to start businesses on their home turf January 16, 2018
- India: Digital finance models for lending to small businesses January 16, 2018
- Powering up Africa through innovation January 16, 2018
- Which ones did you read and download?Africa RISING’s most popular online products and resources in 2017 January 16, 2018