Knowledge Management Fishbone: A Standard Framework of Organizational Enablers
July 21, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – The main purpose of this study is to craft and test a framework for the link between knowledge management (KM) and performance in organizations, with a view of providing a deeper understanding of the different KM output levels or stages that this link goes through, as well as highlighting the organizational context of each level in that link.
Design/methodology/approach – A survey method has been used to elicit opinions from 167 mid and top level managers from the top 81 Bahraini businesses.
Findings – The study results produced a fishbone model. Its spine positioned ‘knowledge management activities’ as the first output level, leading to ‘innovation’ as the second, which in turn impacts the organization’s level of ‘agility’, and finally links to ‘performance’ as the head of that skeletal model.
Research limitations/implications – The results highlighted the different organizational enablers for these stages, which have been diagramed as the ribs of the fish skeleton-like model.
Originality/value – The framework may become a standard model, i.e. may work as a reference for academics and practitioners to help evaluate which KM level needs to be emphasized, at what time, and then what critical factors managers should work on, in order to maximize the organization’s outcome from each stage of the model.
Go to Source
- IT-Based Knowledge Capability and Commercialization of Innovations
- Developing a Corporate Knowledge Management Strategy
- Balancing codification and personalization for knowledge reuse: a Markov decision process approach
- Validation of Davenport’s classification structure of knowledge-intensive processes
- Ethical issues in knowledge management: conflict of knowledge ownership
- What is Knowledge Management
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- The renaissance of farming systems research in Africa January 16, 2018
- Entrepreneurship competition encourages the Malian diaspora to start businesses on their home turf January 16, 2018
- India: Digital finance models for lending to small businesses January 16, 2018
- Powering up Africa through innovation January 16, 2018
- Which ones did you read and download?Africa RISING’s most popular online products and resources in 2017 January 16, 2018