Refugee United | A Mobile Tool Evaluation
May 13, 2012 Editor 0
In 2010 alone, there were over 43.7 million refugees in the world.
This was one of the highest figures of refugees recorded over the past 15 years, according to a UNHCR report released in 2010. These refugees had been forcibly displaced from their homes by conflict or persecution.
Refugees and IDPs are vulnerable economically, socially, psychologically and politically. Uprooted from their homes, having lost access to their accustomed livelihoods, resented by their hosts and often viewed as a burden or as opponents by governments responsible for their protection… (El-Bushra and Kish, Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons)
The Refugee United tool is a family tracing and search mobile-based tool, which connects missing family and friends.
The Refugee United (RU) tool has an estimated 50,000 profiles. However, only a very small percentage of these profiles are active users. Over the period of January 2012 and May 2012, iHub Research conducted surveys and field research that included direct observation, focus-group discussions, and in-depth interviews.
The research will feed into ensuring that the new RU mobile application and sign-up process becomes a success in creating users, securing a high conversion rate (from sign-ups to users of the RU platform) and ultimately leading to digital reconnection of missing family and friends.
- Smart energy to power refugee camps
- How BoP in Kenya Use Phones for Income Generation: Videos
- Startups Win Gauteng Innovation Competition
- FINAPPSPARTY 2012: AROUND THE WORLD 2nd EDITION
- Is Social Capital Perceived as a Source of Competitive Advantage or Disadvantage for Family Firms? An Exploratory Analysis of CEO Perceptions
- Lessons from the Field for BoP Developers
Subscribe to our stories
- Giving Francophone African incubators the keys to accelerate growth entrepreneurship February 13, 2018
- Is acceleration the panacea for scaling growth entrepreneurs? Reflections from XL Africa February 13, 2018
- Why providing pre-seed and seed capital is the essential step to bringing West Africa and Sahel’s entrepreneurs to the next level February 13, 2018
- Global Investment Competitiveness: New Insights on FDI February 2, 2018
- BioInnovate Africa phase II launched February 2, 2018