Is Big good?
December 17, 2011 Editor 0
The Economist, in one of its columns, Schumpter, discussed whether big companies are better catalysts of innovation than smaller ones.
Three developments favour big companies; economic growth increasingly driven by ecosystems such as Apple and Android OS; globalisation; and the pressing issues of today-education, health and climate change- are too complex for small players.
The column, does however make an important point, which is big companies are not suited to disruptive technologies or innovation. Disruptive innovation is more about business model rather any new or break through technology. Big established players are often reluctant to disrupt their business models. Small companies, however, can make incremental changes or create a business model to an existing technology to disrupt the market.
The argument that big is better for innovation can have implications for African Governments and donor agencies. The promotion of SMEs as an engine for growth is top of the development agenda. Would it be wise instead to support the development of big companies? These could own a number of small companies.
The column concluded that the key to innovation is allowing energetic new companies to grow and let inefficient ones die. In this, what African governments can do is to support growth of new companies through an enabling business and regulatory environment.
Francis Stevens George
- Five Reasons Companies Fail at Business Model Innovation
- How to Do Business Model Innovation for the Established Firm
- Why Large Companies Struggle With Business Model Innovation
- Adapt or Die. What is Business Model Innovation?
- Open Business Models: How to Thrive in the New Innovation Landscape
- 20 Business Model Innovations
Subscribe to our stories
- Can Africa’s tech start-up scene rise to the next level? November 20, 2017
- Chocolate innovation: Sweet tooth hackers solve cocoa farmers’ challenges November 20, 2017
- A new generation of CEOs: Running a business in West Africa as a woman November 20, 2017
- Is crowdfunding the silver bullet to expanding innovation in the developing world? November 20, 2017
- Towards building an Entrepreneurship Ecosystem- Global Entrepreneurship Week and Freetown Pitch Night-The Role and Significance of the Freetown Pitch Night November 20, 2017