To Harmonize or Not to Harmonize? The Case of Cross-national Biotechnology Governance in Southern Africa
October 3, 2011 Editor 0
This paper is based on a study which investigated both existing and new regulatory responses to food emergencies and bigger challenges presented by modern gene-based biotechnologies. In particular, this paper looks at the challenge of cross-national cooperation in regulation of these technologies in southern Africa. One response to this challenge which has dominated policy agendas in the region for a long time, and with more prominence after the 2002-2003 food emergency, is that of harmonization of national biosafety regulatory systems.
Harmonisation is touted by its promoters as one way in which countries can buttress weaker national and sub-national regulatory capacities, and develop synergies that will place them in a strong position to deal with the dynamic challenges presented by modern biotechnologies. The desire for cross-national cooperation in biotechnology management was investigated from the broader perspective of policy convergence, with harmonization being but one of the mechanisms towards the policy convergence.
A number of factors facilitating or inhibiting policy convergence were identified, including but not limited to cultural, institutional, socio-economic and policy community attributes. The paper concludes that an understanding of these factors is crucial if grounded empirical and theoretical proposals on cross-national policy convergence are to be advanced.
Go to Source
- Southern Africa Horizon Scan (Oct 2011)
- The Mobile Innovation Roadshow: the ‘next frontier’ for economic growth in Southern Africa
- Mobile Innovation Roadshow empowers Southern African entrepreneurs and app developers
- Feeding Africa: Why Biotechnology Sceptics are Wrong to Dismiss GM
- Biotechnology and Africa’s Strategic Interests
- Leap-frogging in African Agriculture: The Case of Genetically Modified Crops
Subscribe to our stories
- The renaissance of farming systems research in Africa January 16, 2018
- Entrepreneurship competition encourages the Malian diaspora to start businesses on their home turf January 16, 2018
- India: Digital finance models for lending to small businesses January 16, 2018
- Powering up Africa through innovation January 16, 2018
- Which ones did you read and download?Africa RISING’s most popular online products and resources in 2017 January 16, 2018