Open Innovation modes and the role of internal R&D: An empirical study on Open Innovation Adoption in Europe.
August 19, 2011 Editor 0
Purpose – The goal of this study is to provide comprehensive empirical evidence for the adoption of inbound and outbound open innovation activities in Europe.
Design/methodology/approach – We use data from 180 European companies to test three hypotheses on open innovation adoption and the role of internal R&D.Findings – We find that 30.3% of European companies are very open to innovation and 38.7% being semi-open. The results show that inbound open innovation is more commonly used than outbound open innovation, which can be explained by insufficiencies of the market or the organization. Finally, we find that the type of innovation strategy (vertically integrated, inbound, outbound, or mixed) is related to the R&D intensity. Research limitations/implications – Practical implications – Generally, open innovation seems to be a complement to internal R&D. However, firms can reduce R&D intensity through inbound open innovation.Originality/value – The unique contribution of the study is to provide first empirical evidence on the adoption of open innovation activities on European level.
Go to Source
- Strategic application of outbound open innovation
- The Social Solution to Innovation Challenges
- Educating Innovators
- Opinion Leaders’ Role in Innovation Diffusion: A Simulation Study
- The impact of outside-in open innovation on innovation performance
- Separating the wheat from the chaff – a taxonomy of open innovation
Subscribe to our stories
- Can Africa’s tech start-up scene rise to the next level? November 20, 2017
- Chocolate innovation: Sweet tooth hackers solve cocoa farmers’ challenges November 20, 2017
- A new generation of CEOs: Running a business in West Africa as a woman November 20, 2017
- Is crowdfunding the silver bullet to expanding innovation in the developing world? November 20, 2017
- Towards building an Entrepreneurship Ecosystem- Global Entrepreneurship Week and Freetown Pitch Night-The Role and Significance of the Freetown Pitch Night November 20, 2017